My first time showing Third Level.
Hampton's first time showing Third Level.
First time I have met fellow blogger Austen from Guinness on Tap (She is as cool as I thought she would be!)
2 first place ribbons.
First time I have gotten "explosive" comments on my test.
:)
So, what happened?
THE BAD.
- I had to work until midnight on Friday, so I did not roll into the HHP until 1:30 am. I went right to bed, but didn't sleep well. The hotel room smelled weird.
- My first ride was 8 am. It was Third-3.
- Hampton did not get to see the show ring before we went in.
- It started to RAIN when we were warming up. Not just sprinkle, RAIN.
- Hampton was very tense, but trying to be good. I'm not sure if he was hating the rain, or if he would have been tense anyway.
- I tried everything I know to help him loosen up his lower back. It got better, but I didn't have my usual horse that I have at home.
- I went straight into the show ring. I didn't even circle it once. (dumb of me)
- Half passes were a joke.
- Toward the end of the test, when I asked for the left half pass - Hampton suddenly started to violently root the reins out of my hands.
- When we got to the center line, we were supposed to do a flying change but I had NO control of my horse at this moment. His body was crooked and stiff as a board.
- So ... he changed leads, but not without a rather spectacular buck. All 4 feet off the round give you whiplash type of buck.
- Right in front of the judge.
- And my parents.
- Thanks, Hampton.
![]() |
| Hampton doing a flying change. |
- Went back to the warm up to school and he did it AGAIN.
- Back to stalls to get the lunge line.
- Oh, it's still raining at this point.
- My white/pink legs are now showing through my white breeches.
- Coat is soaked.
- Saddle is soaked.
- Lunged him for about 5-6 minutes before I waved the white flag.
- 57% and some change. It was well deserved.
The GOOD
- The second test - Third-1 - was much more relaxed. He was still very tense in his back and I had no bend, no swing. I also let his frame go all to shit. All I cared about was a relaxed, steady test at this point. So I rode conservative and didn't demand much from him. It was really sloppy.
| I let everything go to shit. Yuck. |
![]() |
| What we are capable of looking like .... |
- One change was late behind (that's what I get for having him strung out), the other there was a tiny little buck, but nothing "explosive" this time.
- I was much happier that we got around and I did remain in control this time, even though we were running at about 40% of our real ability. He was acting like a wild, green horse and so I had to treat him as one at that time. Forget Third Level collection and bend.
- 58% and some change. Still well deserved.
- BUT out medium and extended trots were the highlight of our tests I think. Major improvements there! Yes I let them get a little low in the neck, but we earned 7s on a couple of these and I was really happy with that!
- I did not forget my tests!
- I stayed on the horse.
- I stayed in the ring.
- Hampton got a ride home in the trailer. I was about to leave him with a "for sale" sign on his stall. hahah. ha ha. ha. sort of joking.
The UGLY
- It's obvious that neither of us is ready for Third Level. That was a mistake and a result of just ignorance on my part.
- It was unfair of me to ask Hampton to perform at this level 1) without working him on the show grounds before hand 2) in the pouring rain.
- I THINK he may have gotten his tongue over the bit in the first test. It was just a very sudden, weird feeling in his mouth and the rooting is not like him. So - do I need to try a new set of bits maybe? Maybe a one time freak thing? I don't know.
- Then there is the issue of our big show in May. I already entered Third Level. I can 1) scratch and eat that money (a paychecks worth. ugh). 2) see if they will change my tests and do First ot maybe Second Level. or 3) Show Third Level anyway and suck. Bronze medal is obviously not within reach at this moment. Maybe by fall or next year.
![]() |
| Still smiling in spite of horse acting like a green 3 year old, and soaking wet clothes! |
So what's next? There is two weeks until our big show. I think Hampton needs to see his chiro/massage therapist. I am going to do a few days of hacking and trail rides before we go back to work. I do know that Hampton MUST be ridden and/or lunged the morning before his first test at shows now. NO exceptions. I am hoping that will curb some of this tension issue. At first and even second level, you can sort of still make your way through the test with a tense horse and do OK. It's just impossible to do that at third level. He has to be relaxed. He has to bend and be supple. By the second test he was much, much better but I was too scared and cautious to start asking more of him because I was afraid he would light back up again. I really wish these bucks were caught on camera because they are no joke. I know it happened because he was crooked and tense and he cannot do a flying change like that. He was never on my aids at all during the show, so that is another problem that needs to be addressed. He was either behind my aids or absolutely explosive to them (which is still not on the aids in my mind). So many things that need worked on. Unfortunately I can't work on these issues at home because he is normally super at home! Of course. Argh.
So overall it was a good first show of the year. I did learn a lot about what I need to do to prepare him. It seems like tension is our biggest issue at the moment. So next time I go in with a better plan and see how it goes.
Moving on!




I think your tests certainly had their moments, and I'm so sad I was scribbling away furiously instead of getting to see BroncoHampton. :)
ReplyDeleteYou didn't say what tests you're entered in at the next show, but if you're really not confident and entered in Third-3, that's the one I'd switch. Third-1 is way more manageable. If he's having a bad day, at least you can use it to school doing changes in the ring. If he's relaxed and happy, you could get your scores anyway. :)
Using shows to school sucks, but when they get so tense away it's the only way to do it. We had a few riders come up to us yesterday and say "He's green, so we may add some extra figures in here and there. I know my test, so don't worry about ringing the bell." Now, that's a schooling show, but the same thing applies at recognized, too.
You had some good take aways and that is what the first time out is all about!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a good learning experience at the very least :)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely sounds like a good experience to have - you learned a lot and can use that for your success in the future! Sorry it didn't go like you hoped, that sucks.
ReplyDeletePictures or it didn't happen ;) Jk! It's all a learning process. I say stick to 3rd and try to improve next show!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I didn't come over. We ended up getting done later than I thought. It still sounds like you had a productive and educational ride, even if it didn't go quite how you planned it.
ReplyDeleteWhile you were riding in that rain, I was hydroplaning on it. I have never been so scared in my life, I was actually looking around me deciding where the best place to wreck would be. I ended up barely staying on the road. What a random storm.
You could have opted to play in the rain with us at Masterson Station :) It is all a learning experience and I think we all tend to be too hard on ourselves.
ReplyDeleteDon't be too hard on yourself. That's a rough set of circumstances and you did the best you could with what you had. No advice on your next show from me, but I have confidence in you guys :-)
ReplyDeleteConsidering all the factors - the rain, it being the first show of the year, etc - I don't think you should be too hard on yourself. Maybe try the third level next time with the knowledge you have now and see if it works. I'm sure you guys will do great :)
ReplyDelete