Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Theft

We have a thief who has been visiting our barn.

Over the winter, we had some Rambo blankets vanish, a couple of half pads and a sheet. At first we thought maybe things were just getting misplaced, or blankets put on the wrong horses (it happens), but it quickly became apparent that that was not the case. This thief was taking blankets in a specific size, and they took Rambos - which shows that they knew what brands are best.

At that point we put locks on all the tack rooms.



Today there are two bridles and a Keiffer dressage saddle missing. When I got to the barn this morning, I noticed that the lock to that tackroom was unlocked. I didn't really think anything of it until I got the call about the theft. So it's either an inside job, or the lock was left unlocked yesterday. There was a fund raising event last night, so it was pretty well known that everyone from our barn would be at that event. (I was working my real life job). My gut says it's someone who knows the farm, and knows the BO.

Police reports will be filed.

Over the winter, there was a trailer stolen from a nearby barn as well. (It was apparently recovered, but I don't know the details).

We haven't been saying anything because we didn't want to draw attention, but I know there are KY folks who read this blog so just a heads up. Lock up your stuff. I'm tempted to keep my new saddle in my car, but that's not exactly smart as I work downtown which is a very dangerous neighborhood. Not sure what to do. *sigh*

Very frustrating.


18 comments:

  1. So sorry, that sucks, I am hoping you get the items back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awful! I'm sorry you're having to deal with that.

    Maybe keep your saddle in the car and throw a blanket over it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Methinks your saddle would be safer in a bad neighborhood where people don't know what it's worth than in a barn where someone might have the key! I'd also check your insurance and see if it's covered. It might be covered if stolen from your car, but not from the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is any comfort, homeowners or renters insurance will cover your saddle if stolen at your barn or in your car. Happened to me once:(. Just take pictures of your things incase you have to file a claim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting... Need to get my saddle on renters insurance. People suck. Wonder who it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no, what a nightmare. I try not to think about how much expensive stuff lives in every barn essentially unprotected. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just rotten. I hope they get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Damn that sucks. I had ALL my tack (3 sets of bridles saddles and breastplates) stolen from my barn and trailer while it was on my personal property out in the boonies, so someone HAD to have known it was there. That was horrible and I don't wish it on anyone, so I feel the pain. I didn't trust anyone for a long time and kept my tack at home, but I slowly forgot about the incident and now leave my tack at the barn. This makes me want to snatch it back up and bring it home, gah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's terrible! I've had stuff grow legs and walk off over the years as well. Including a really nice blanket at my last farm which then was very mysteriously 'returned' months later, totally filthy. People who steal seriously suck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....I hate this stuff! Can you get a locker to lock or a trunk you can lock?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Long time follower here but I've never actually taken the time to sign in and comment. Sorry to hear of these thefts and it's a little concerning as I *think* my daughters barn is close to you. I'm assuming you were talking about the SS fundraiser the other night? If so we are right across the street - hi neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow :( So sorry!! Ugh even worse that whoever it is knows what they are doing and could be an "insider"

    Here is to them getting caught and everything being returned!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh! how horrid!!

    FYI - I kept my saddles in my station wagon when I lived in the city. My car was broken into and they took ipods and bluetooth stuff but definitely didn't touch the tack in the back of the car. I don't think they knew how much it was worth or what the hell to do with it. :) AND if they had happened to take my tack, at least my car insurance would have covered the theft.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah that's scary! Hopefully the person will get caught.

    ReplyDelete
  15. People suck! Hope they catch them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hate this! I think horse people as a rule are trusting people - I think of HHP and how many people leave there tack out all night there during competitions. We have already been warned not to do that at KHP. Hope you all figure out who is stealing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that is absolutely awful!! I would definitely keep my stuff in my car or take it home... :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cameras!
    Seriously, BO should put up at least one camera. Maybe in a very inconspicuous place, and not mention it, in order to catch the person.
    I know I feel much better about the security @ my barn since the cameras have gone up all over the property.
    Best o luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!