Do I think Hampton and I are going to compete all over the county and earn 70%s? Uh, no.
| April 2013 (one year ago) |
Do I think we are capable of someday competing at PSG at the local level? Yes.
So during my last lesson, my instructor (the one I have been taking lessons from for more than a year), basically tells me Hampton won't make a Third Level horse. He doesn't have the cadence. He doesn't have a balance. He just isn't good enough. He's too downhill. I mean what she said was true. He is a First Level horse who does Third Level tricks. I have no illusions about that. It's not like last season at Second Level was wildly successful. Our best score was a 63%. Not really that impressive. I suspect it may take me all year to get a 60% at Third Level.
But I think we can do it. We both just need time to develop. If I find that Third just totally murders us, then I don't need to show all year. Or we can drop back to Second. No biggie at all. But I feel like I should try. I feel like we are ready to at least give it a shot. Because in order to get where you want to go, you have to go there.
| Summer 2013 |
But to say he has reached his limit at First Level? That stings.
What's even more confusing is that other (newer) gal I take lessons with, is pumping me full of ideas such as showing Fourth Level at the end of the year. Maybe even PSG! (Not ganna happen).
Now I am full of all sort of self doubt. We are supposed to go to a clinic in a week with none other than JJ Tate. Only one of my idols whom I really admire. I wish I could ride like her. Is this going to be a giant waste of money? What am I going to tell her? We all know "that person" who marches in and says they have a Third Level horse and then it becomes painfully obvious and embarrassing that they are a training level pair. I don't want to be THAT person. But I don't want to underestimate our abilities either. I still want to be challenged and get something out of the clinic. I trust that JJ will figure us out pretty quick and form and appropriate lesson plan. She's that cool of a teacher and rider. But still. Do I have any business riding with such company?
| October 2013 |
Yes we have our struggles. Right bend, right half pass. General suppleness. Cadence. Keeping the flying changes straight (but HOLY COW have the changes improved lately!!). But are these issues uncommon? No. At what point do you determine a horse has maxed out in dressage? Hampton is only 7, fairly young for a dressage horse. Of course he is not some nationally competitive horse, I don't expect him to be. But do I think he has more to give? Yes.
Also, I am very aware that I am 90% of the problem. I have never trained a horse this far in dressage before. This is as new to me as it is to Hampton. I do all the training myself, I don't have my instructors ride him. So that in a way is a handicap I guess, compared to others. But - I feel he deserves a chance. I still believe in him. And in us.
Am I delusional? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Am I seeing this horse through rose-colored glasses?
I am no where near giving up on him. Not even in the cards. I just want to be sure I am not asking him to do things that he can't really do. So far, I haven't encountered that. At least in my opinion. But I guess if there is a point where I need to re evaluate his career, I should do that.
I dunno.
#firstworldproblems #dressagequeenproblems #lifeisgreatanyway

I think I know the trainers you are referring to and it makes me sad that T1 would say that. Or really that anyone would. I think Hampton is lovely! (Can I please come ride him again?!?!??!?) ;)
ReplyDeleteI think you seem pretty well versed on the dressage scope of things and I think if anything you are two hard on your guys as opposed to "delusioned". You'll figure it out :)
I'm not even close to the same level that you and Hampton are, but I've been in the same place. My instructor basically said that my horse was no good for dressage. while I'd love to say that I've gone out there and proven her wrong - I simply haven't competed yet to do so.
ReplyDeleteWhat I do know is that I have also gotten further with him schooling by myself then I had after two years of lessons with her. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes a fresh perspective can help.
bonita of A Riding Habit
Why not go to your clinic and ask JJ Tate just this? Tell her your feeling and ask her real opinion. Maybe a pair of fresh eyes can see better.
ReplyDeleteI think you and Hamps are doing great. Honestly, he wants to try for you and is still happy in his work. Take that and go as far as he'll let you push. Good horses aren't wildly talented, they're the ones that stand up to the pressure and keep saying "yes!" Sounds like Hampton to me...
After all, if my chronically falsely-through and nervous TB can try his hand, you absolutely can! Third is totally within your capabilities.
I think it's important to be realistic but I also think it's important to keep pushing and keep moving forward. Are you physically hurting him? I highly doubt that. Are you mentally hurting him? I also highly doubt that. Maybe Hampton won't "make a Third Level" horse but who says you can't try your damndest until (and if!) Hampton says he's had enough. If your goal is FEI and you want to be nationally competitive, then you should revaluate what you're doing to get yourself there - but that still doesn't mean Hampton can't keep moving upwards and onwards.
ReplyDeleteGirl, you are NOT delusional. Dressage is about the training of the horse, it's about making the horse better - I do not understand why that trainer would tell you he's not a Third-level horse! That's like telling a high-schooler he can't go to college because math class will be hard. Hampton will develop cadence, balance, and you will continue to build his strength up so he can be uphill. I really don't understand why she said that - that makes no sense in the realm of dressage.
ReplyDeleteYou have to try, you have to increase his knowledge base and give him the opportunity to develop everything he needs! You've talked about changes improving lately - I can't imagine that other areas won't improve! He is young! You are young! There's so much to be learned and how can one person say a horse is going to tap out at a specific level WHEN THEY HAVEN'T EVEN SPENT SIGNIFICANT TIME AT THAT LEVEL? (sorry to shout, but seriously, that trainer sounds superficial). You come across as a very knowledgeable, intentional, and grounded rider. You will know when he has learned everything he can and has reached the max of his "try" - and honestly, I think he'll max out when he's so old that he cannot physically perform. Stay strong, clinic with professionals who you want to clinic with, and keep going.
You are a smart lady, Karen, and Hampton will tell you if things get too hard for him. I say keep going, learning, & listening!
ReplyDeleteDo it and try it, like you said you are a realist and just keep in mind what your limitations are.
ReplyDeleteCarlos was a 15.3 short strided thoroughbred and I knew that but I still went as far as we could go and then some, were we wildly successful all over the place no, but the journey was worth it and I was super proud of all we did together.
That's you and Hampton, the journey is the best part. Do all you can do together and always do your best.
I don’t think you’re delusional. I think you’re a lovely rider with a lovely horse that she cares for very much and also with some dreams, and I think you’re probably not psychic, and I think your instructor probably isn’t psychic either.
ReplyDeleteI think that horses can surprise us. I think that they have their limits, just like us. I also think (and I’ll stop using this construction in a second!) that when it comes to limits and potential and THE FUTURE, you just can’t know until you know.
So you keep trying. You keep working. You keep hoping. You listen when the people you trust give you their opinions and you weigh those opinions against what your own brain and heart and gut have to say. You also listen to your horse, and keep an eye on the line between “hard and worthwhile” and “maybe asking too much.”
For whatever it’s worth, I’ve found that line a couple of times with my current partnership. There’s at least one dearly-held dream that I have, at this point, accepted that I won’t be achieving with this horse (and maybe not with any horse). But there are other dreams that I gave up only to find that doing so gave them space in which to become real. And other dreams, too, that have developed along the way. It’s okay, you know? Hampton will surprise you and you’ll surprise yourself, in ways that feel good at the time and other ways that don’t, but you guys will both learn a lot and have a good time along the way and it’ll all be okay in the long (and middle, and mostly short) run.
Go to your clinic. Tell the clinician where you are, which is already farther than most people ever get, which, y’know, is not nothin’. “We can do all/most of the Third Level movements but don’t have Third Level balance confirmed, can you help us debug that?” is honestly a GREAT reason to go get some outside input; that’s a great problem to take to a clinic.
I think the best horseman are kind of always reevaluating. Being able to evaluate and adjust without judging and without preemptively closing doors until it becomes clear which are the right and the wrong doors is a super-useful thing to be able to do. Good fer you, and good fer Hamps.
My mom is going through the exact same struggle right now. Her horse was a winner at Second but not quite a Third Level horse. She can do all the moves well but no lead change yet. My mom isn't experienced enough to put one on and I am helping her - but we aren't sure if she will ever be a Third Level horse.
ReplyDeleteRegarding the coaches - who has more successful students? Who knows what "wins" more? My moms coach can be equally as harsh but she knows her stuff. She says she isn't ready for a level until she can go out and win, and when she does show, she does win.
Is your coach demanding perfection and that's why she doesn't think you are a Third level combo? If so, I might listen and keep at it. Is the other coach just really gung ho? Or does she know what it takes and maybe you should listen to her?
Bottom line it's up to you to decide whether you want to keep trying or whether you want to move on to something else (other discipline or a horse who can go 3rd).
Ultimately, your coach should know what it takes to get there, but that is not always the case. I myself always think where there is a will, there is a way.
Makes me sad that T1 said that about him too :(
ReplyDeleteTell the clinician the truth. You know your horse is not going to be the winner on a huge scale at these levels, but you would like to pursue the levels as far as you can. That you have one trainer tell you he's 1st level, and one saying PSG is a possibility. She will give you her honest opinion, and maybe it'll tip you one way or the other.
For what it's worth - this is suppossed to be fun. To me, it sounds like a lot of fun to try to get qualifying scores (isn't that above 60%?) in higher levels and get your silver medal!
This makes me sad that someone would tell you that. I think you should take Hampton as far as you both can go, and don't let anyone... ANYONE tell you how far you "can" go before you get there. Plenty of people ride horses that aren't "right" for dressage (ahem Haflinger anyone?) and that hasn't stopped them from going to the top levels and having a ton of fun doing so. Are you going to take Hampton to your regional championships at GP and win with an 80%? Probably not, but that doesn't mean you won't have a heck of a time trying and learn a ton doing it. You keep riding the best you can, learning all you can, and do the most you can do together. And have a WONDERFUL time learning at the clinic this weekend!
ReplyDeleteYes! I think you are absolutely delusional! For letting this training get in your head. You know Hampton better than anyone on earth. These are things you will know better than any instructor. It won't be tomorrow and you know that but I believe you two WILL get there! Because of you. While you may feel you are the problem and stunting his growth. It is you who believes in him and loves him and the only reason there is growth at all. So quit being delusional and tell her to suck it!
ReplyDeleteI don't know you or Hampton personally, but I do know you seem very driven and educated, and you don't strike me as someone who would set a goal that was totally out of reach.
ReplyDeleteI think having a coach who supports you and helps you work toward goals while also keeping things real is important. I don't see how your trainer's comment was even remotely constructive. You already know Hampton is not going to top out at first level...because he's doing third level movements and has shown at second! No one expects to move up and have everything go smoothly and get 70%+ scores their first time out. Now THAT would be a lofty goal! He's still young but is a lovely horse, well conformed, great brain, super movement, etc. I just see no reason why he would top out at first, and shame on the trainer for bringing you down like that.
Wouldn't be the first time trainers have contradicted each other...
ReplyDeleteOthers have already said it well - take your lovely horse as far as he tells you he wants to go... get worthwhile input from eyes on the ground like this weekend, and have fun. It is supposed to be fun. :D
Hang in there and don't give up! It's okay to be realistic about your goals,but that doesn't mean you should let someone tell you that you can't. Just do the best you can and have fun.
ReplyDeleteScoring above 60% as an AA is GOOD! Don't ever let anyone tell you 63% is not good enough. I deal with negative people too, who feel if you aren't in the high 60's all the time, you should not be showing. Bullfeathers.
ReplyDeleteGo out, give it your and Hamptons best shot at 3rd-you may have to go back to the drawing board for awhile, but so what? Or you may do just fine. And I am wondering-does Trainer #1 have a horse down there to sell you?? And Trainer #2 probably should be taken with a grain of salt.
Go ahead and ride with Tate-you will get good feedback from some one who knows. I am riding with Gurney this weekend, and am preparing for some harsh criticism. But am going with it as I want the feedback-good, bad, indifferent-I want it. The reason you ride with a clinician is to get better, and more tools for the toolbox-not to show her what you can do. DON'T worry if you are good enough or not. She is there to make you good enough.
Having a short, fat, and not fancy moving horse myself I totally feel your pain. But he impresses me everyday! I never imagined my horse would take me that places he has (and will continue) and I have always told myself that I will continue with our dressage until he tells me he physically cannot do it any more. We may not be the fancy moving jaw dropping to watch pair but, like you, we get the job done and put in pleasant tests. 3rd level is NOT easy and it may take you some time to get solid scores at shows but why not try?!
ReplyDeleteIn the dressage world you will run into a lot of people who tell you your horse will not 'make' it at levels because they only ride the big, fancy warmbloods who can skate by on their movement. I say go for it! Worst case bump back down to 2nd and try 3rd again later in the season!
I echo all the sentiments above. Go for it and enjoy the journey. Doing the training yourself takes longer but the journey is richer.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late getting around to this post but I agree with everyone else. It's heartbreaking to have someone say these things to you - it has happened to me as well. I think you know your horse best. You're the only one that rides him. No one can understand better than you how far you can go. There was probably a time where you didn't know if you'd make it this far. He's young. He hasn't given up yet and you shouldn't either!
ReplyDelete