Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Almost forgot I owned a horse
You can finally (sort of) walk around the farm without fear of falling on your butt now. Our arena is still one big sheet of ice (even after today's 50+ degree temps), but it shouldn't take long now to melt.
The jump field is pretty decent footing though - so I took Hamp out there to lunge today. I thought I would start him back slow and gentle. Was thinking a 20-minute lunge, transitions, etc.
He started out looking great. Actually, phenomenal. He is moving better than I have ever seen him. He has lost some weight, so I'll have to play with his feed again. But not too bad.
Everything is going peachy. Then we switch directions. He trots a couple of circles and then ....
ZOOMIES!!!!!
Snorting. Tail flagging. Major case of the zooms. No photos because I had to keep both hands on the lunge line. This goes on for almost 5 minutes. He is now lathered between his back legs and working up a good sweat on his neck. I finally get him to stop and ask him to please trot on in a civilized manner this time.
ZOOMS.
I guess so much for starting back easy?
He is puffing and blowing now and so I do finally get several calm, normal, 7-year-old properly trained pony circles before calling it quits.
He continues to snort all the way back to the barn.
Glad I chose to lunge?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sometimes they just need that, especially when the footing's been too bad to do it in the pasture.
ReplyDeletehahaha yes it is the season for the Zoom Zoom, almost like we're all stuck in Mazda commericals.
ReplyDelete