Thursday, January 23, 2014

Limbo

Well, hello there.

Here is what we have been up to so far in January.

You serve me cookies in snow?






It's winter. It's cold. There is snow and ice everywhere. 



We don't have an indoor, so I can't ride until at least the arena unthaws (could be on Saturday - woot!). I could go for a snow ride in the jump field but I haven't had the motivation. Typically my mornings go like this:

Clean 1 stall
Hurry to office to put fingers in front of space heater because I fear they may actually freeze off.
Clean 2 more stalls
Back to space heater, thaw toes
Clean 2 more stalls
Cuss at trying to push wheelbarrow throw 4 inches of snow up an icy hill

Realize I have to pee. Decide to hold it because I am 1) not taking off 40 layers of clothes and 2) NOT sitting on freezing ass cold porta potty.
Bed stalls with shavings that have frozen chunks in them
Take water buckets out of stalls. Usually 4 or 5 snaps are frozen so I spend 5-10 minutes blowing on snaps so that they will open.
Hammer out ice from buckets.
Refill buckets. Wonder if they will be frozen again in an hour.
Make Hampton's alfalfa mash.
Check on Hampton - he seems content with his face in a roundbale.
Get back in warm car, go home.

Working in this cold (single and negative digits) is exhausting. I know people ride in much colder temps but I just cannot do it. 20 degrees I can handle, but not 4. 



There is no good footing around anyway, except to take a walk in the fields I suppose. 

A fellow blogger said something to the effect of nothing I do in these temperatures is going to improve my show season. Amen sista. Amen. 

So I ride when I can and hope that winter gets the f*ck out soon.


9 comments:

  1. Ugh I'm so with you. This week the temps were all single digits and while I could have ridden I simply didn't want to. No fun for me, or my horse, and like you said, won't make a huge difference in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO fracken cold! And when it's not as cold its snowy! Or icy. WTF. All I have to say is skijoring. PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. It's so true. Winter is a frickin' write-off. The point of January/February/March is to make you appreciate April/May/June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! Ky is supposed to be warmer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahaha! I feel you! I sat at home last week, unable to muster the energy to bundle up just to get to the car.

    I'd call it lazy, but instead I'm calling it "self-preservation." It sounds better, no?

    Stay warm out there, more cold coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, my little coastal Georgia might even shut down for some snow sprinkling on Wednesday.

    I vote everyone go home and bundle up (after bundling up the ponies, of course), get some hot chocolate and take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I feel your pain. Some winter help tips, pour water on the frozen snaps and they will open immediately. No water? Spit on them. Gross but it works. If you can, wait until the horses come in to fill their buckets, or invest in a heated one.

    January is almost over...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!