Monday, October 21, 2013

Maintainence

Poor Hampton was royally violated today.

The vet student who came along (right) was really cute.   

First he got his teeth floated. His teeth were not in bad shape, although the vet (an excellent equine dentist in Kentucky) did point out to me that due to the anatomy of Hampton's head and jaw, that he will always have irregular wear patterns - especially in his teeth in the back of his mouth. This is not a big deal as long as he has regular floatings. Otherwise, there was no major issues to report. Yay!

 Then I slapped on the rubber glovers and grabbed the lube and Excalibur. And you know what that means.






Still somewhat drugged, Hampton stood there in shame as I rooted around and tried not to gag. Sheath cleaning the is the most gross thing ever. It is the only horse-related "duty" that makes me want to hurl. Gross. I drug him to the washrack and then blasted his manhood with icy cold water to make matters worse. (One must rinse, after all). Being female, I don't have much empathy for this but Hampton did not seem to appreciate the cold hosing. Oh well.


4 comments:

  1. Ive found that if you let the Excaliber sit a little it helps things come off easier. I clean Henry's sheeth every week so I've gotten it down to a science lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make the vet do the sheath cleaning when they're already under for their teeth or hocks. ;) It's my concession to the modern world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Hampton, maybe he will get more personal space next weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, if you are interested, a couple weenie cleaning tips I have learned over the years from my awesome vet:

    (1) Don't worry too much about mild smegma buildup on outside layers, it's natural, just pick off any big chunks that might cause discomfort. The thin stuff is going to be back in a week anyway.

    (2) Most important part, of course, is checking for beans. That now is primarily 95% of what I do.

    (3) KY Jelly is wayyyyy better than Excalibur. Excalibur can burn if left on. KY does not, if you miss some, no biggie. I also will put it on before I ride (of course, my boys both don't mind being violated), let it soften things up while they work, then pick out the chunks afterwards. With the KY, no hosing needed. (Just don't tell the market/drugstore clerk it's for your horse, it just makes it sound worse, haha!)

    Funnily, Encore stays wayyyy cleaner since he lets that bad boy hang out all the time. Solo is all secretive, so he gets bigger beans and more chunks. I keep a box of latex gloves on hand!!

    Glad Hampers is all cleaned up and feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!