Thursday, August 29, 2013

One twerk forward, two twerks back.

My birthday is tomorrow and I was recently reminded how old cranky clueless I am to pop culture when I did not know was twerking was.

Trust me, I know now.

AnyHOO.

Now that I have been brought up to date on the goings on outside of the horse world, I bring you updates on both boys.

His score of 63% in second level at the August KDA show was the second highest score of the show! (if that tells you anything about how that judge was scoring)

Hampton has been doing quite well lately. I started him on a joint supplement: Vetri HA. 
He has been on it for about 2 weeks and I think it has made a difference. He warms up better (not as stiff) and in general is looser in his way of going. Today's ride started out super. We had a great rhythm and connection going, resulting in some super shoulder-in where I could ask for a more expressive outside shoulder. We also did medium canter to collected canter transitions. Those are MUCH better than just a month or so ago. They are getting faster and crisper. After leg yielding at the canter, I decided to try some changes.

Right to left, he pops out changes like a pro. BUT ... left to right has gone to the shitter. Several times he did not respond at all. A couple of times he swapped in front but not in back, resulting in kicking out when I "reminded" him with the whip that needs to switch his hind. Once he switched in front only and then ZOOMED around the corner. Argh. It was U.G.L.Y. I wanted to get 1 clean change in that direction and then stop, but we were both just too hot and sweaty by that point that I gave up. (It's 90+ degrees here, even at 9 am when I rode). I HATE doing that. HATE it. But it was safer to just quit. I hate that I have now taught him to make unclean changes. I was much happier when he would just buck through them, but change clean. I need to fix this and don't want to keep practicing it wrong.

Barf. It is very rare that I end a session with Hampton on a disappointed note. But today was one of those days. He also ended up a bit dehydrated after our ride (his skin was tenting), so I gave him a tube of Stress-Dex and he had a wonderfully long drink at the automatic waterer. Poor guy. You really have to be careful in this awful humidity.

We may go school cross country on Saturday (a big maybe) and next weekend we are doing a horse trial! Our first of the year. We need to get out of the sandbox more. I was a chicken and entered Starter, even though I know we can do BN. But we have not jumped all summer so .... looking to just have fun and let him open up his stride.

***

Sexy Rexy is going home soon! He is now at a point where his owner can continue with him. He has blossomed into a wonderful horse. He is steady in the contact, although not 100% on the bit all the time just yet. He steers, hacks out in the open field with no issues, trail rides, walks over poles, and is just in general a good creature. I'll be sad to see him go - he has been a fun project this summer.

Steady in the contact now! yay!

awwwws!

Sorry for the novel!

Happy twerking!

6 comments:

  1. My guy friends are obsessed with twerking. My favorite thing is to get them drunk and video them :P Horses don't really twerk lol.

    Happy Birthdayish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not old!!! Just asked my 19 yr old daughter and she didn't know what twerking was :) We had to google it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't entirely sure what tweaking was until today! Funny that you should blog about it!

    Oh rexy... I need to come see th sweet dude before he vacates. Love th banner pic btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the boys are doing well.

    I'm so oblivious to pop culture that my horse friends sometimes send me home to google things so I can understand what they're talking about.

    "Ain't nobody got time for that!"
    ^Look how culturally relevant I am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!!!

    Staying in the horse world and away from twerking is A OK with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated birthday!!!

    I'm sad that I didn't get to see Rexy as a "finished product" :(

    I don't actually think I know what twerking is either, and I'm 20... time to go Google!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!