Monday, February 25, 2013

In which we somehow score a 71.5 in Second Level.

So this happened yesterday:




That gave us first in a class of 4 other people - including my own instructor!

We also won the First level group (consisting of people doing First 1 and a couple of us doing First 3). We earned a 69% and some change in that one.

I tacked Hampton up at home, tossed him on the trailer and at the show we unloaded and went right to the warmup ring. No lunging. No nuthin. He was all business and was right there for me every step of the way.

Our First Level test was good ... but I know it can be better. Out first test is always more choppy. Also the footing was deep and wet (with a big puddle by C) and I think Hampton was being a little bit of a footing snob about the lengthenings. But we got it done. We nailed the canter loops and leg yields were decent.

The Second Level test was perhaps the best test I have ever ridden. I am beginning to think that both Hampton and I just do better in more difficult tests because there is less chance for our minds to wander.

(seriously - I have ridden Training Level tests and actually caught myself thinking about what to eat for dinner in the middle of a 20m circle ...)

The test wasn't perfect - in fact I think the judge was VERY VERY generous - but I was thrilled with it. I think at a rated show, we would have pulled off a 64 or 65%. I'm not putting myself down here, the test was great, but I'm a realist and I don't think it was 71% great. :) The judge even complimented me at the end of the test and said my simple changes were "seamless." ...!!! I almost laughed because this is what we struggle with most in that test! Our changes were good, but he was a bit braced against me and somewhat on the forehand. We got an 8.5 on those movements. I dunno maybe it feels worse than it looks?! I wish I had video!

We have a long way to go in Second Level still. As you will see from the photos, he still needs a much more uphill balance. I need to pull my shoulder's back, sit down and point my toes forward. I need to work on sitting the damn medium trot in which I feel like a wet sack of potatoes flopping on his back. Which then causes him to go downhill. Blargh. But it will come. :) I am just being picky here. These are all very normal issues in a developing horse (and rider!).

Ok I done being critical of myself. :)

The day was a total blast. I first saw Hillary with the gorgeous Houston and she immediately told me of their incident that morning when their trailer came unhitched from the truck!! Everyone was OK and it ended up not being a big deal but talk about your worst nightmare! Anyway both of them are always so well turned out. I watched them warm up a bit and they looked great. So smooth and quiet. You'll have to read her blog to find out how they did but I will say they also had a fantastic day!

The other gals from my barn also did really well. A couple more blues and good rides.

The boy ended up winning a blue ribbon in his leadline class, too! HAHA!! This was at the very end of the day. We had started drinking beer and mimosas at 10 a.m. ... and he rode near 5:30 p.m. So ... I was impressed he did not fall off. haha.

Now on the to the good stuff. Photos!!!

Hillary and Houston

Houston looking dapper in his cooler.

First Level test 3 

The Boy told me to wink here ... so I did, and it just looks like I have
something in my eye. Meanwhile, Hampton looks cute. haha.

Hillary hired herself a groom. hahaha :)

It would be nice if I would put my shoulders back.

I love the scenery at this farm.

Hampton's counter canter is awesome despite the fact that I need
to sit my ass in the saddle.

This is just ... priceless.

Second Level Test 3

As usual, Hampton acquired a fan club.

They gave him 2 blue ribbons.



14 comments:

  1. Great pictures, thanks for sharing, sounds like a super awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Congrats on the scores - well done.

    You guys look great. The pictures of your so onboard are keepers for sure. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! Congratulations! You guys BOTH look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shit girl! a 71! That is AMAZING, congrats. What a great score, and Hampton looks so nice and beef cakey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! Hampton is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the pictures. Glad that you also had a super successful day! One day Hue and I will be there! I need to tell him to chat with Hampers at the next show hehe so he can follow in his footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Great job. Hampton looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hampton is so grown up and gorgeous! Congrats on a great 1st show of 2013 and the boy does not look too bad either :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That is fantastic! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hampton is so awesome, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing!! the time my girl has a "balanced" counter canter is when I'm schooling changes. If I want a counter canter... I get a change. Want a change? I get counter canter! BAH mares.

    Congrats on the outing Hampton is such a charmer.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great day! :)

    LOVE the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great scores and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!