On Sunday our "reward" was another lesson with Dorothy Crowell. :) She started us off doing some flat work. I really like Dorothy because she has such a different approach to things. I really like taking new tools from different instructors and finding what works for me. Dorothy had me really turn my chest to the inside - so that my "headlights" (or boobs, but I don't have anything close to an impressive rack so ...) ...were almost facing Dorothy who was at the center of the circle.
She also nailed me for using my left hand way too much (*guilty here*) and had me raise my left hand obnoxiously high in the air so I could not use it. It was more difficult than it sounds but I started to figure it out. haha.
| I cranked my stirrups up for Dorothy's lesson. My thighs BURNED. |
| Almost too cute to handle. |
| Call George Morris? |
| ME: "Dammit why do I always jump ahead." HAMPTON: "Did you see me jump like a badass?" |
So a super fun weekend with my poneh! :) I'm a lucky girl.
In other news:
I think I found the reason why Hampton had a little spell of misbehavior (the rearing episode) and I just had a sense that he was "agitated." He wasn't being bad, but when you know a horse really well you can just tell when they are not 100% right. Also, Hamps had developed a habit of jerking his right hind up when I was tacking him up. At first I thought maybe it was his stifle of hock bothering him, but then I realized it occured at the exact moment I went to tighten the girth. He has been on Ulcer Guard pellets for 2 weeks now and that behavior has vanished. He is also back to his normal relaxed, peaceful self. (see above photo, haha). Glad I caught it early before he started to act out further. He probably got a little stressed from moving to a stall which changed up his routine. He is otherwise happy, wolfing down his food and drinking lots. His weight looks fantastic.
Also ... I have decided I no longer want to lease him out. For a couple of reasons, but none of them are a super big deal. How do I break this news to his leaser? She is a very nice person but it's just not a good match and in about a month we need to start getting into "competition mode" as far as schooling goes. I don't want to confuse him with 2 riders at this point. I don't want to hurt her feelings so I'm not sure how to break it to her? Advice appreciated.
Well hey good job if you read all of this!
I don't think horses get that confused by riders, I think they pretty much know who is who and what they can do. Other then that, he jumps cute!! :)
ReplyDeleteSuch fun stuff, you lucky lucky girl. You guys are gonna have a great 2013!
ReplyDeleteCan you offer to help her find a better match? Maybe that will sooth the sting a little. If it isn't working it isn't working. She probably feels it too. My mare is sensitive and for some reason it is just doesn't work with some people. Sometimes it is obvious why things aren't working and other times it's random who she clicks with.
ReplyDeleteHampton looks so cute! Jetta had the same reaction to a similar bounce exercise we did - she loved it!
ReplyDeleteDorothy sounds great! Would love to ride with her sometime. You guys look good in the pics...
ReplyDeleteas for the leaser, just say, we are going to focus on competition so I am not looking to have anyone else ride him.
Or, blame your coach. Say she wants you and only you riding him on a program...
Wow -- he does look good! He looks healthy and happy and interested in life. Yay Hampton!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the comment about focusing on competition - this is a serious season for you and you really need him to be cued in to you. She's going to be stung any way you put it, that's her stuff to deal with, the priorities here are you and Hampton and your show season. Maybe suggest another horse she could show and you could travel to shows together?
ReplyDeleteLooks like you and Hampton are going to have a kick-ass season!!
If I were you, I would say that with competition season coming up, you've realised how much work you need to do personally with Hampton and there simply aren't enough days in the week for him to be leased out on top of that, but make sure you thank her for working with him and say you think he enjoyed his time with her.
ReplyDeleteagree with the others!
ReplyDeletebtw he is sooooo cute! Love that last picture! He looks so pleased with himself lol :)
I love the clip :D He is adorbs.
ReplyDeleteI also love Dorothy!!