They get a lot of negative attention for the "peanut rollers" and various abusive techniques seen to force these horses into submission.
The hunter riders ride with open fingers, straight elbows and encourage their horses to lower their necks.
Proooooobably not going to make it over a a fence like this.
![]() |
| Your fake tail is also obvious. |
But I am going to discuss the opposite end of the "why do you call these hunter classes when your horse has no hope of making it over a fence?" types.
Morgans.
And I can do this because I showed Morgan hunter pleasure to many years.
Let's examine.
This horse is a World Champion. What do I see?
Weighted shoes. Long curb shank. Very hollow back. A tail that has obviously been set in a bussle. Neck broken at the 3rd/4th vertebrae. Rider in a chair seat. No tracking up.
This horse would likly fall on his face if asked to jump a fence. He cannot use his neck or back like this.
Another example. ANOTHER World Champion.
Do you see a trend in what wins in the Morgan breed?
Here is what I would like to see when I judge a Hunter under saddle (on the flat) class:
Rider flaws aside ... I think this is just lovely. Why can't we train our Morgans to go like this? They are a versitile breed, I know they can.
I found an American Saddlebred who is putting the Morgans to shame. Check out this pair:
Yes, the horse could stretch OUT more with his neck ... but overall, a lovely picture. Overtracking, outstanding reach in the shoulder. Horse and rider are tidy and well dressed. UNLIKE this tacky Morgan pair:
*shakes head in disgust*
Maybe traditional hunter attire is outdated? Maybe it's time we wear bright orange! Maybe I am just being stuffy.
I understand that the Morgan breed is showing their MORGANS in hunter tack. But why do they stray so far from the discipline standard?
Discuss.






I agree with everything you've said. I also think that even your regular hunters have gotten really far away from the point these days. It's sad, really.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you say, most of the Morgan hunters I see winning would look nicer in Classic or even English Pleasure classes. I admit, though, I think they make a beautiful picture, but then again, it's all I've really known.
ReplyDeleteI have a Morgan. I plan to event her. I cringe when I see the Morgan breed shows! Morgans are so versatile and gorgeous movers, why make them go like this?
ReplyDelete