I'll be honest, at the end of June and beginning of July I was suffering from burn-out. I was tired of looking for an instructor and not finding what I wanted. I had spent nearly every weekend since moving to Kentucky on the road. Dressage camp was a failure.
There is also a lot of "pressure" at the barn to participate and compete in lessons, clinics, cross country schooling and horse trials. All great, but I simply cannot afford to keep up with the others financially. I felt like an outcast because I kept having to decline invitations since my bank account is one again annoyingly low. So THAT made me depressed, too.
So after a 2 week break (which, let's be honest, would have happened anyway since it was 100+ degrees every day), I am ready to go back to dressage land. Hampton is no worse for wear, and picks up right where we left off.
And now I've entered our first show of the season. It's a rated show, and I'm going to try to get a qualifying score for Regionals. I doubt I will be able to afford Regionals but what the hell.
It's a 2-day show, but only counts for one show per USDF. Saturday we will be showing First-1 and First-3. Sunday we'll try First-3 again and then .... dun dun dun ... Second-1.
It's a month from now so that gives us plenty of time to get back in the groove. I'm attempting Second level more for shits and giggles than anything else. I do not expect to score above 60%. I'd just like some feedback and see where we are at. My major goals for this show are to 1) Have fun and 2) Earn scores toward my Bronze. Oh, also to stay on and stay in the ring. Those goals go without saying. :)
In the meantime, I really need a new pair of white gloves and have been eyeing a new dressage coat, too. Must look spiffy for our first show this year. :)
Burnout happens. Usually by the end of our spring eventing season, I'm so burned out of trailering I just want to stay home. Which, among other reasons (it's freaking hot, I'm poor, and I have field work) is why my horses get pretty easy summers. About all we do is strengthening and fitness. Then we go back to work in the fall. I'm kind of the opposite of people who give the horses the winter off since our climate allows us to ride all winter.
ReplyDeleteHampster looks great -- so when's the next jumping adventure???
I was thinking about you and Hampton today! I spent the day at CAF watching my daughter, and others, at event camp. My fav hang out was auditing dressage lessons with Jennifer Kaiser - really like her way of instructing.
ReplyDeleteYou and Hampton will rock at First and Second Level!
Glad to hear that you're back in the saddle! (You didn't miss much in the 100+ temps anyways. =P)
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say that I lovelove Roeckl's show gloves. They stay grippy even in sweaty/rain/humidity.
Tight budgets aside - I feel your pain there - you have a perfectly lovely horse, and you two look great together. Can't wait to hear about your show results.
ReplyDelete"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear..." ;)