Thursday, July 19, 2012

A (emotional) TBone update

When I first started this blog journey (and even before I switched to the Blogger platform), I was writing about my dressage journey with my horse at the time, a Morgan gelding named T-Bone (Final Chapter is his registered name).

In 2009 I sold him to a wonderful lady who bought him as her first horse. She sometimes sends me updates and just LOVES him.

Unfortunately, he's been having some soundness issues. Here is what she had to say:

"He starts dragging his right hind at the slow trot and is very stiff at the walk.  Two years ago he had a MRI that showed an increased uptake in his sacroiliac (S/I) joint and the front of his hind cannon bones. ( If this is found on the front legs it is often called "buck shins" and is most often found in racing thoroughbreds.) The vet could not say how this might have happened.  He had his S/I injected and systemic Tilden and recovered."


Other than minor scrapes and bumps, he has had no traumatic injuries in his life. I helped foal him out and halter broke him, then bought him when he was 2. The only possible thing I could think of was that he was on stall rest for the first 2 months of his life because his mother had a uterine rupture. Could this have hampered his growth and development? Who knows.


In another recent email, she said something that really made me smile.


"Learning to ride this horse correctly is one of the most difficult things I have ever tried to do."


YA THINK?!


TBone is not an easy ride. He isn't naughty, or dirty, and will happily carry you around all day if you ask. But the MOMENT you challenge him, or put the screws to him, he basically flips you the bird. He is also incredibly smart. He knows how to get out of really using his body, by carefully manipulating you and his body so that you THINK he's doing what you want, but he totally evades the work. 


It took me a few years to figure this out. Then I started to call him out on it. And that is when our relationship got ugly. Rearing. Ping ponging in the contact. Severe bracing in the neck. Bolting. He would run away from me when I went to get him in the field. Which would just INFURIATE me more. 


Sometimes we made a pretty picture.




For the first time in my life, I did not look forward to riding. (Unless it was another horse). Yes, I have the skills to ride a horse like him. But it wasn't FUN for me anymore. He wasn't dangerous or anything, but it was just always a fight. He also could not "let things go." For instance, if something spooked him (this was rare), or if you smacked him with the whip just a little too hard - his brain would SHUT DOWN. I mean, end of your ride right there. I had better luck if I just hopped off and tried again the net day. He would hold a grudge (I know horses don't actually do this, but that is the only way I can explain how he would get). In contrast, if I should smack Hamps with the whip a little too hard he may kick out, pig root, or toss his head to say "Watch it lady!!!" ... but 60 seconds later be back to work like nothing had happened. Not T-Bone. Showing that horse was also a nightmare in and of itself. We never scored above a 62%. Yes we all have bad tests, but showing got old really fast with T-Bone. It was a constant battle and neither one of us could ever relax.

 
Harmony in the Park 2008 I think. BRACE YOURSELF! (literally)




I'm not sure I ever got him truly on the bit and through. Oh I have many photos of him "round" and cute as a button. But he was merely bracing. This became painfully clear to me after he developed an underneck muscle that would rival a lot of saddlebreds.


When I sold him, it was of great financial relief to me ... and also emotional relief. I was sad to see him go, I did love him. He was a cute, friendly horse and certainly beautiful. He was a blast to jump and just hack around on. But a small part of me watched him get on that trailer and sigh "good riddance." It was sort of like breaking up with a boyfriend. I was sad to let him go, part of me really didn't want to. But I knew we just were not meant for one another.


(And then I took that money and bought an MacBook and an unbroke 2 year old gelding!)


He needs to be a lower-level dressage or lesson horse where no one really pressures him. Which is exactly the home he got. He would make a great husband horse, since he will work all day, doesn't spook and is obedient when you aren't demanding of him. He just did not have the mental or physical ability to go much beyond training level dressage. When I sold him, he was schooling all 2nd level lateral work, had starting single flying changes (and was good at them!), and schooled half pass.

In some ways I think of him as my own personal failure. I was going to show a Morgan PSG - that was my goal and dream. I stuck it out with him for 5 years. I just was not happy anymore. People were SHOCKED that I sold him. How could someone who loves horses so much just up and sell one? Don't you love him?

Of course I did, which is why I let him go.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this story. I had a QH that I loved to death. but he did not love dressage. Or even like it. He was bomb proof on the trail and never ever did anything dirty. But I had to let him go. I sold him to a young girl. they've had him ever since (he's 17 now). I recently had an update that he's doing well. All of the girls in the family have learned to ride on him.

    It's hard to explain to people why letting them go is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny... the Morgan I have now braces like that. I can get him on the bit and soft, but my lesson students all struggle with it, and the muscles on his neck speak to the fact that many before me had the same battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my daughter says, he just did not like his job. But you cared enough to find him a home where he would!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like everyone who's been around horses long enough has a horse like this. Growing experience for everyone, I guess. <3 Hamps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!