Tuesday, February 21, 2012

To move or not to move?

So other than being slammed with a nasty flu bug this week (what happens when you take 2x the amount of recommended Mucinex? Guess I'll find out!) ... my life has been pretty busy and interesting.

The potential new barn (and job)

So I have been offered a part-time job at a barn across town. It's just basic farm chores for 5 hours in the morning. Pay is not great, but would certainly give me enough extra cash to pay for Hampton's board there and a little extra for my pocket, too.

Aisle

The indoor
Moving to this new barn has several advantages.
• Indoor arena (!!! YAY!!). It's a nice size, with good footing. Plus poles and standards to use.
• Outdoor arena (pretty big - more like what we are used to now. Also good footing.)
• Hampton would have a stall with regular feedings. The hay was GREAT. Nice and green and fluffy. This barn is very well organized on how the horses get fed and turned out.
• Nicely lit barn. Cross ties with rubber mats to groom on.
• Trails around the neighborhood (the barn is in a neighborhood subdivision).
• My current instructor can teach there.
• Horses get turned out 8+ hours a day. In at night.
• Friendly people (my first impression.)
• Place to park my trailer.
• It's actually closer for me to drive there from home. (Takes the same amount of time, though, since I have to drive through campus)
• Lots of other eventers ride there.

Disadvantages?
• Board is more expensive.
• Working 5 hours in the morning means less sleep for me (since I am still going to work my regular 3-11:30 newspaper job for now). It means I will have to be at the barn by 7 a.m. in order to do chores and also work Hampton. I will have to be prepared to be exhausted. But ... this could also be good for me.

It isn't that I hate our current barn. But you all know that I am not happy with the hay provided and also some of the drama that goes on. Frankly the only reason I was staying there is because two of my closest friends were also boarders. They are both gone now and I spend most mornings riding alone (like, not a soul on the property) which makes me nervous for my safety.

What do you guys think?

***

In other news - lesson tomorrow! Guess I better suck it up. I hate being sick.

8 comments:

  1. MOVE!! Seriously. It's more expensive and you'll be more tired but the camaraderie of other eventers and the much improved facility is totally worth it. Barn jobs aren't super exciting (hopefully), but they aren't all that demanding either (with occasional health-related exceptions) and you can handle it.

    Do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - those pictures of the new place look really nice. I'd be tempted to give up sleep.

    Hope you fell better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it sounds like a great opportunity.
    Of course only you know whats best for you and Hampton though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely sounds like a great opportunity and a better living situation for Hampton! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks amazing! As long as you still have the time for Hampton and you don't feel rushed/like you can't enjoy your horse I say move. Cause when it comes down to it, facilities are only great when you actually have the time to use them :) But from someone who also works 2 jobs, I can't think of a better 2nd job to have! And it def helps to have some extra cash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with everyone else - move :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gof or it! I think you will be surprised how energizing barn work in the morning can be! Plus you will be done by the end of your other work day and have all evening to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!