![]() |
| February in Indiana. I'll take it. |
What a relaxing, peaceful ride. Not a soul around. Just me and Hampton and all I could hear was his footfalls and some random birds. The weather has been amazing and I was riding in only riding tights and a sweatshirt (plus my boots with the fur knock offs ... oh and my helmet, duh). I could tell Hampton was enjoying the time, too. Ears perked, relaxed, rhythm was easy to find and keep. He certainly does not need every ride to be intense "oh my god I better leg yield or she will kill me" work. Next week we have 2 lessons (yay for furlough days) so I'm taking it easy on him this weekend. We might do a trail ride or something if it doesn't snow/sleet/crap on us over the weekend. It's good for both of us to forget about being round and on the bit sometimes.
Last year we were getting ready for our very first show. Today I was just in awe of him and how far he has come in just one year.
I know my instructor says he is in average and maybe he is to the outside world. But not to me. :) I have ridden literally hundreds of horses in my 22+ years as an equestrian and I can say that horses like Hampton do not come along very often. I am so lucky to have found him.
(ok, mush fest over now.)
![]() |
| Babeh Hampton |


I get so excited when the arena has been freshly dragged. It's like an open clean fresh canvas ready for a masterpiece.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy dragging the arena nearly as much as getting the first ride. It relaxes me before mounting up too.
ReplyDeleteDon't let anyone tell you Hampton is "average" - that's just garbage. When you limit your thinking, you have average thoughts... :)
I love a freshly-dragged arena, too! It's like an empty canvas or sheet of paper. It's also a helpful way to check up on your geometry.
ReplyDeleteI doubt your instructor meant to be hurtful when she said "average," but its wonderful to hear your heartfelt thoughts.
Aww, so sweet. I can tell from here :) that Hampton is far above average.
ReplyDeleteOf course your horse is not average! Just look at that face!
ReplyDeleteOkay - so I read the previous post, and now I get the context of the "average" comment. At the moment his movement is average... goals to strive for...
ReplyDeleteHandsome Hampton is definitely not average! ;)
Ahh the rare ride when the footing is perfect and you don't have to share :) Hampton is such a handsome boy. Can't put a price on heart!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a lovely ride! Relaxed, birds calling, and warm weather.
ReplyDeletehttp://trailponyendurance.blogspot.com/
Nothing beats that freshly dragged arena!
ReplyDelete