Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Back to my roots

So, unless another blizzard or severe arctic blast comes our way, I am entering Hampton in the Feb. 26 dressage show at Come Again Farm.

We are going to attempt Training Level Test 1, and Training Level Test 3.

Both of these tests are well within his abilities. Yes, we will both be a bit rusty and out of practice (unless the weather really does a turnaround and I can get in some serious riding time before then), but I am sort of one to wing things, especially for little fun shows. Hampton has been off the farm twice now, so I know he isn't likely to flip out at this new place. He will have a stall to hang out in (no standing next to a trailer) and plenty of hay to eat. Plus, these shows tend to be laid back and are run well so I see it as an opportunity to have a fun, relaxing day with my horse. And get some feedback on our progress ... derr, how badly we came out of the winter. haha.

Plus, this particular farm means a lot to me. I literally grew up there - back in the day when it was a Morgan training and breeding farm. My show horses Doc, Wilson and Sparkle were all in training there. My previous horse, T-Bone, was born there. I have spent hours and hours riding on that property (and around the country roads). Saw many foals born, had many laughs and good memories. Chased numerous loose horses down the lane. Cleaned those stalls hundreds of times.

I just love that the current trainer has turned it into an eventing and equestrian haven.

It is the farm that built me.

Some memories

Me on T-Bone, visiting Sparkles and Corinne.

T-Bone at 2 years old. 

Riding on the 1/4-mile track

Shaq walks down the lane at Triple Creek




5 comments:

  1. It looks like a really great place. Good luck at the show. I'm sure Hampton will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. I especially love how regal the last horse looks.

    Good luck at the dressage show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exciting!!! I miss showing at those sort of great, laid back shows that are run well, where you know lots of people and you don't have to worry too much about the environment-stalls, footing, etc. I hope you two have a blast:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really nice place, no wonder you have so many good memories of it. Kick butt at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a BEAUTIFUL farm :) I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!