Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Opposites.

< < < < OMG. Right toe & ankle FAIL.

Rode the critter again last night. I LOVE riding in the evenings, but it is a rarity since I usually work 3-midnight, except for this week.

Sidenote: Barely 5 minutes after I had walked Hampton back into the barn after riding outdoors, the neighbors started setting off fireworks! Note to self, ride indoors until Monday ...)

 Started out in the indoor with the usual warm up. I chose the Leg Yield to the wall, then canter, exercise from my 101 book. Trotting on the right rein, turn down the centerline ... leg yield left to the wall, then immediately canter right lead. I modified this just a bit for Hampton's training level and made sure that by the time I got to the rail, we were close to the corner to help our transition out. Seemed to go well, except he's started to anticipate the leg yields, and I lost the haunches a couple of times. ugh. I may steer away from leg yields for a while. He's getting a bit too smart about them. I'll probably spend the rest of the week riding the quarter line all the way around.

No bucking or pig rooting with canter work. Woot! We actually had a couple of AWESOME straight-away canter sections (like from Training Test 1). Still need more uphill balance when we turn on another circle, but it will get there. Then I went to the outdoor to run through Training Test 1. The outdoor is USDF regulation size (the small size) so I knew I could more accurately ride my figures out there. One centerline was a little wiggly, and there was some resistance on a trot circle or two ... but the canter transitions were prompt, correct lead, balanced. Score!

I know the issues are very likely due to Hampton being behind my leg. I just am not used to riding a horse that needs so much motivation! T-Bone was VERY forward (although still behind my leg), and I was always holding him back. Hampton needs much more forward and the issues pretty much go away. I know this. Why do I not do what I say? The nice thing about Hampers is that I can rev him up and he won't get hot. With T-Bone, everything I did was slow down ... slow slow slow. So, it's different for me. I don't have to be so "careful" with Hampton, we can make a mistake and it's just that, a mistake, both of us move on. With T-Bone, once he got "offended" or upset, you might as well have put him away because his brain would NOT come back.

Below is a photo of me and T-Bone, my Morgan I sold last year (I also started him as a 2-year-old). Notice the tension in both of us ... when I look at photos of Hampton and me, I don't see this. Maybe I have rose colored glasses on, though.

1 comment:

  1. Awww - T-Bone is a cutie! I am curious about something. I notice that you obviously used to ride and show Morgans, as did/do I. Like you, though, I am finding myself shifting into the Dressage world, though you're much more advanced than I am. Anyway, I am gearing up to by a horse that would be well suited for Dressage. I would love to find a nice Morgan, but am not sure about their ability to really excel in the sport. What are your opinions on this one? Is there a particular line you'd reccomend or a breeder? I hope this isn't prying too much :).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!