First let me say that I still love my horse. I think he's wonderful, clever, friendly, trusting, talented and beautifully flawed. He tries so hard for me, and has a really good attitude about life. He's adorable and knows it and often charms people into thinking he's cute when he's being naughty (like chewing on things). He's also sensitive and does not like getting into trouble, but when he does he doesn't hold a grudge. THAT SAID ... lately he has been a total TOAD. Last night I decided to go for a ride in the outdoor arena. This is the first time we've ridden in that arena since we moved to the new barn - only because it has been raining so much that the BO didn't want people to ride in it with the puddles. Meh. Anyway, I figured it wouldn't be a problem because all he's ever known until recently is outdoor arenas. I started and backed him in an outdoor.
Anyway ... he was immediately tense, distracted, short-strided. Great. So I figured, I'll work through it. (Hmmm, funny how that didn't really work last time!). I tried figure 8s. I tried transitions - which when he's in this state of mind, just make him hotter (good to know). Then he started screaming for his stupid friend in the barn. I ignored it, until he started to scream, rip the reins out of my hands and whirl around. Uh, no. So I made him follow my inside rein around for a bit ... then made him leg yield some. Things just got worse and I thought at one point he might rear, but he didn't. Sooooo .... while this isn't something I've had to do with him ... ever ... I did it yesterday. I lunged the tar out of him. I made him canter until he was begging me to stop. Then I did a couple of transitions. Other direction: Canter some more! I made him move his little ass - even when he wanted to poop, or stop or offer to trot. Nope. It was already a hot day, and he was pretty soaked with sweat.
Although, not too badly out of breath. He may be a little too fit now. Got back on in the outdoor and had a LOVELY ride! He talked a few times, but was calm about it and in that case I just ignore it. Leg yielding quarter line to wall was the BEST he's ever done! I tried some pieces of training level test 2 (left out the canter though) just to practice my figures since I'm pretty rusty. Nice rhythm, calm pony but still listening to my aids. Ahhh. Much better. I know it's just a phase. He's 3 and the work is getting more difficult. Plus, he is looking the BEST he has ever looked since I have owned him. He is filling out, his coat looks fantastic and he's clearly fit. So I do have to keep in mind he probably has a lot more energy now. I'm going to try to work him a little more than usual this week and see if that helps with the 'tude.

well if all the new pictures are evidence of his 'looking better than ever' then I would agree! He's a total cutie! Can't wait to see more video.
ReplyDeleteI hate to lunge for tar production, but sometimes it really does work. Transitions haven't really worked for me much either. Sometimes I 'lunge' while I'm on their back. Just set a circle and canter it through. I let them get fast and make a smaller circle til they slow down because it's hard. That way they don't get rewarded by going back to the trailer to get the lunge line (in my case) Sometimes it doesn't work, and they still need the real thing.
Good luck with the 'tude toad :D