Friday, March 19, 2010

Intermission

Hampton has earned himself a few days off. He's so young, that I feel a 2-3 day work week is enough for him. The other days I just spoil him and spend time grooming, clipping and letting him graze. He's lost weight again - which is maddening to me because he was looking so good for a while. So I've started to add in some beet bulp to his diet which hopefully will help him pack on the pounds. He appears to be growing again, seeing as how he looks like a gigantic yearling right now. I also wormed him (somewhat early for this rotation) since he looks a little wormy to me ... even t hough he's shedding out just fine. He's due for his spring shots, a coggins to be pulled and he teeth checked again. On Wednesday I did finally take him on a trail ride which went perfectly. He seemed to really enjoy it and wasn't spooky at all - even at the mailbox.

2 comments:

  1. Those 1st trail rides are always the most interesting - you never know what the horse might do (if anything!). Glad to hear Hampton was uneventful for his first trail ride!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how eventful being uneventful can be! I wish you many more uneventful rides in the future, unless they're good eventful :D

    I need more uneventful in my life... things are way to exciting around here :P

    I love beet pulp, excellent source of cool energy especially if you get a chance to rinse it once after soaking. For the spring months I usually add in about 1/2 scoop of rice bran, the oils and fats really help bring out a shiny new coat. I feed just the raw rice bran pellets and I swear by it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!