Sunday, February 14, 2010

Footage of Hampton

Well the stars finally aligned and I was able to ride Hampton AND get video of it. I have not sat on his back since late Nov., maybe early Dec. 2009. He has not been working much at all this winter. Even so, it was like we never took a break. He was slightly rusty at first on the steering, but it came back. We didn't do anything exciting. Mostly because we are both out of shape, plus I have an ulcer and haven't been eating well - leaving me weak and easily tired. So mostly I just worked on "whoa" and "go." Toward the end, when we were off the lunge, all I had to go was gently squeeze my legs and he would step off. (this needs quickened and sharped still, and he needs MUCH more forward but it's a start). At the beginning I kept having to squeeze my legs AND a swat with the whip. So, he's catching on. By the way, this was the first time EVER that I have ridden him off the lunge in the big arena. And we did eventually trot but the camera battery pooped out before we got there. He was a good boy for that, too. Very proud. Now that I am pretty sure he's cool with the whole riding thing, I can start to sharpen up the aids and start asking more of him (well, once we are a little more fit). He seems to like his new happy mouth bit, too. I'll take comments, critique, comments about my backyard dressage, etc, if you got 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!