Wednesday, September 2, 2009

All natural?

The lady from Harmony Natural Horse Care trimmed Hampton's feet this morning. It was my first experience with a "natural" barefoot trimmer. And Hampton's first experience with the farrier without any tranquilizer. He was, all considered, a pretty good boy. He got a little snotty about one back leg - even kicked out a few times - but for a giant 2 year old who was basically new to this game, he did well. I suspect the next trim or two will be even easier.

Anyway, the lady, Sue, was very nice. She was VERY patient with Hampton (most farriers would have whacked him numerous times). She explained that his two front feet did have a flare, which would grow out with time. All in all his feet are in good shape. I'm curious to see how he moves later this week with his new pedicure. I have read very little about natural barefoot trimming, but most of it has been positive. I realize down the line he will probably need shoes if we end up showing a bunch (merely for protection for all the hard surfaces), but for now I think I'll stick with this barefoot thing and see how it goes.

He's also scheduled for a message in the next week or two.

He needs wormed, too. Perhaps a Friday project.

I've also been back taking dressage lessons at Forrest Hill. I wish I could ride there 7 days a week. *sigh*

Sorry no photos today!

1 comment:

  1. I never put shoes on my horses either if I didn't have to. Only once on my Arab when she got a quarter crack on her front right. But once she healed up, she was back to being barefoot. My one horse had those hard black hooves so he barely even needed a trimming! That was a great money saver, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!