Kentucky Derby 135 is Saturday and I'm makin' my picks on absolutely no basis at all. I like these particular horses, and I usually pick my favorites merely on looks and I'll perhaps glance through their race records and pedigree. The last time my strategy worked was ... uh ... back when Real Quiet won. That was a few years ago. lol.
DUNKIRK
PIONEER OF THE NILE
What does everyone else think? I've read some hype on I Want Revenge and a few others. Wish I could be there in person!!
I tend to pick them based on who has the best name. I think I'm going to go with West Side Bernie because I had this ivy plant named Bernie who finally kicked it a month ago after I managed to keep him alive for four years. But I know nothing about the horse.
ReplyDeleteGeneral Quarters is the local hero. His owner/trainer is some old dude whose lifelong dream was to have a horse in the Derby. This is the only horse he owns or trains, and he won the Bluegrass Stakes and it was just...heartwarming.
Except not really because everything about TB racing makes me a little sick to my stomach. So at the end of the day, I probably won't even watch it (if I can avoid it.)
I also pick them based on how they look - as in, I like to pick the nonbrown horses. :) lol. Ya, I know...I am weird.
ReplyDeleteNow, to find myself a place to watch the race since I have no television.
Pioneerof the Nile. But then again, I've always liked Baffert. I avoid Gomez as a jock, and Pletcher on Kentucky tracks.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the kind words, I promise a ton of photos of the bundle of joy;)
How 'bout that race, huh?!? What a finish! 20 3/4 lengths!! And by a horse that only cost $9,500!! I guess that means there is hope for the rest of us normal horse owners if we want to race a thoroughbred some day! Kind of reminds me of the Seabiscuit story...the odd horse that nobody thought anything of ended up being a great champion. Cannot wait to see if Mine That Bird becomes the next Triple Crown winner!
ReplyDelete