Here's a portion of the letter I just got:
We continue to battle very difficult economic headwinds causing consumers and advertisers to remain cautious, resulting in further revenue declines. This will require our division to implement a second round of furloughs in the coming months. Furloughs again will be required for all US Community Publishing employees in the second quarter – April, May and June – but we will approach the program differently than in the first quarter.
Your current pay level will determine the length of your furlough. USCP employees at the operating units earning $90,000 and above will furlough for two weeks during the quarter. USCP employees at corporate headquarters earning $90,000 and above will take one week of unpaid leave and also will have a temporary pay reduction of the equivalent of one week’s pay. That reduction will be spread equally over the three month period. All other USCP employees will be on the same program as last quarter and furlough for one week. Your level of pay is based on your salary or hourly wage. Commissions, bonuses and overtime earnings are not part of the calculation. Your supervisor will provide the specific details.
Everyone’s participation in the furlough will enable us to minimize the need for additional layoffs during the quarter. The vast majority of our employees fall within the salary ranges that require a furlough of five days during the quarter. We are asking for a larger contribution from some of our employees. I believe these employees will embrace and support this change. We will once again ask employees covered by a bargaining agreement to participate in lieu of layoffs. We are hopeful union leadership will once again support this approach.
In addition to the furloughs, we will institute a wage and salary freeze effective April 1, 2009 through March 31, 2010.
That's right, another week of furlough. Another week of pay GONE. After this most recent furlough, although I made the best of it and had an absolute blast on Virginia - realty hit me hard on Friday when I got my paycheck. It was not even enough to pay rent. I had to BEG my parents for money so that I could eat for the next two weeks. My credit cards are maxed out, I have no savings. It's sad, really. I feel pathetic. Things will be OK in two weeks when I get paid my normal amount, but damn, it will be tight until then.
How depressing.
Screw you, Gannett.
Gah, that sucks.
ReplyDeleteI'll let you know if I hear of any journalistic and/or equestrian job opportunities. Seems like no one's hiring, though.
You make over $90,000 a year?!?
ReplyDeleteEither way...that sucks to have to go without work unpaid. Hard to pay bills that way.
Oh my goodness no I don't make over $90,000. LOL!!! I WISH!
ReplyDelete