Thursday, May 4, 2017

Hampton gets a day with two 12-year-olds



After the whirlwind of Rolex, Aimee and I spent Monday morning out torturing playing with Hampton. We had Aimee's shiny new bridle to test out, plus my new browband and halfpad. All outfits! Because we are 12.

(Hampton was properly compensated with cookies)

I never have anyone to take photos of us at the barn these days, so it was a real treat to have Aimee snapping photos of me and Hamps! And let me tell you, the girl is a wizard with an iPhone! I had my "real" camera just in case, but it wasn't needed.

The sky was UNREAL that day.


There are way too many to post in one blog post, but they will provide me with blog media for quite some time!

After prancing around for our photographer, I handed Aimee the reins.

I don't think I even gave her any instructions - she just got on and off they went! Aimee is a much better rider than what she claims to be on her blog, and it was quickly apparent to me that she is a sensitive, thoughtful rider.



She spent some time feeling out Hampton's buttons, and proceeded to walk, trot and canter him around - on the bit, in the double bridle. I really had nothing to say but "Well, that looks good!" There have been a number of people who have not been able to ride him that well. I told Aimee that Hampton will put in as much effort as you ask of him. No more, no less. He quickly figures out the rider and whether or not they are serious, or if he should just take care of them and give a pony ride.

At the end, I took the whip and helped her play with a little piaffe. We didn't get great photos of this because I cannot be the whip person and video at the same time, but they looked great!



And the good thing about photos is that I can see now that Hamps has an issue with this new bridle (or the bits? Which are the same but maybe they lie differently?) So if you notice his mouth is open, or my curb is at too much of an angle, rest assured I have corrected the issue. He just wears a mullen mouth curb anyway but still. Yikes. Yay for media? Sorry Hampton!

Wish we looked like this at Mid-Ohio


Anyway, I LOVE sharing Hampton with people. No, he is not going to be "ruined." You are not going to "un do" any training. I get it with more sensitive, green horses. But Hamp rolls with the program and is happy to do whatever. I wouldn't let anyone on him that I thought would be cruel or dangerous. And if I did, Hampton would take care of that for me. He does not tolerate stupid riding. :)

INSERT COOKEH


Check out Aimee's blog for her point of view! It makes me so happy to hear she enjoyed him.

And yes I am aware of bears!!

10 comments:

  1. That's so fun!

    What a privilege to ride a well schooled horse and so nice when their owner tells you that you can't screw them up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hampers <3 <3 <3

    I pretty much just gush about him.

    But yes, media super helpful for problem solving. I use it for C all the time. What changed and when and why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww what a star! Y'all both look great and Hamps looks like he secretly enjoys hangin out with tweens ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahhhh I'm so sad I had to go home and miss this! I love playing pony dress up. Hampton looks totes amazing and you and Aimee are amazing riders 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool to hear about the day from both yours and Aimee's perspective

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thumbs up to the two sides of the story - so in conclusion, Hampton is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am jealous on many levels :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Porkin' and Choppin' with us!